Cool down this summer with two mouthwatering ways to enjoy watermelon.
Nothing says summer quite like a watermelon! From May you will begin to see an abundance of watermelon on display in shops and fruit & vegetable markets and what a glorious sight especially as temperatures begin to rise. Watermelons are more than 90% water which makes them a great thirst quencher on these hot summer island days.
This refreshing fruit not only hydrates the body but also effectively detoxifies and cleanses it. Each delicious bite is rich in beta carotene and vitamin C and is loaded with antioxidants such as lycopene which plays an important role in helping reduce chronic inflammation.
Watermelon makes an interesting addition to many a meal and Pauline Dwyer has lovingly put together two special recipes to celebrate this wonderful fruit.
- ¼ Small Watermelon
- ½ Cucumber
- 1 Cup Of Strawberries
- Juice From ½ Lime
- 1cm Ginger
- Handful Of Fresh Basil
- Pop all the ingredients through your juicer and voila – you have a tantalising and refreshing juice.
- No juicer? No problem. Blitz the ingredients along with some water in a blender and then sieve to remove the pulp (a nut bag or napkin can also be used here).
Tip: Where possible use organic to avoid pesticides and increase nutrient value.
Watermelon and Gozo Cheese Salad
- ½ Watermelon
- 1 Small Cucumber
- 120g Gozitan Cheese (Feta cheese works really well too!)
- 2 Tablespoons Pumpkin Seeds
- A Handful Of Fresh Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Of Local Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Local Olive Oil
- Juice Of 1/2 Lime
- Deseed the watermelon and chop into bite-size chunks, discarding the rind.
- Chop the cucumber into small pieces and add to a bowl along with the watermelon.
- Chop the cheese into small cubes and place in the bowl with the pumpkin seeds and parsley.
- Mix the honey, lemon juice and olive oil together and toss gently to combine.
- Grab a plate and enjoy!
Author and Images: Pauline Dwyer
Have you got a recipe to share? Email us to get it published: teamGITH@gmail.com