Throughout July we teamed up with some fantastic Gozo Businesses and Initiatives to organise land, ocean and shoreline clean ups and here’s what happened.
We know many of you play your part on a regular basis to keep Gozo clean. By joining forces, we can achieve so much and hopefully inspire and encourage others to rethink their choices and be part of a united effort to tackle rubbish pollution.
The GITH Clean Up #1 was a huge success, bringing together different generations to make a difference, raise awareness and have lots of fun along the way. Thank you to the kind businesses and volunteers who gave their time, energy and equipment. What an amazing opportunity to try a new activity and do something wonderful for the environment. Having the segways, kayaks and diving gear meant they could reach places not accessible by foot and cover more ground. Win win!
It’s estimated that a staggering 8 million tonnes of plastic ends up in the ocean every year and around 80% of this comes from activities on land. We must scale up on what we are doing to stop this. Whilst major changes need to happen top down from producers and corporates and how waste is managed, we still have a personal responsibility and duty to protect planet earth for now and future generations.
You can make a difference through your daily choices. Watch how your positive actions ripple out. Eventually businesses will have no choice but to listen and act. Lets start by saying….
- No to plastic bags, use a material shopper
- No to plastic cups, take a reusable cup
- No to plastic cutlery, use an eco-friendly set
- No to plastic straws, go without or use paper or stainless steel versions
- No to plastic bags for your fruit and veg, take washable mesh bags
Whilst getting to the root cause of the issue and changing consumer behaviour is pivotal, we have a duty to continue the clean-up efforts. It doesn’t matter if it’s not your litter, it does matter that you live on this planet and all contributions count. Here’s some ideas on what you can do:
- Add a sieve and bucket to your beach bag, whilst enjoying the sun make a difference to the microplastic and cigarette butt issue. A great educational game for children too.
- Carry bags for waste and recyclables when walking, every piece you pick up counts.
- Keep rubbish bags and gloves in your car and collect when you can.
- Get your friends, family and colleagues together for regular clean up events. More people means more fun and more of an impact.
- Download the Clean and Upkeep App to communicate issues to The Cleansing and Maintenance Division. This organisation has been created to keep urban and non-urban areas free from litter and illegal dumping. Simply take a picture of where the rubbish is and send via the App with the location and help will follow.
GLOBE Malta, nature trust fee malta
We hope you all enjoyed the first GITH Clean Up as much as we did. This certainly wont be the last. Keep an eye on our Facebook for details of the next programme. If your business would like to take part please get in touch with details at teamGITH@gmail.com and we will add you to the schedule.
SCUBA KING DIve centre and NAUTiC TEAM gozo
Thank you to all the participating businesses, initiatives and friends. You are amazing! Gozo Segway Tours, Kayak Gozo, Ritual Dive, The GLOBE Programme Malta, Nature Trust FEE Malta, Scuba Kings Diving Centre and Nautic Team Gozo.
Join the Gozo Volunteer Clean Up Group on Facebook to participate and support other clean ups throughout the year.