Samantha Saliba hosts our new favourite insta feed: Sweet & Savoury by Sam. Here she shares her fragrant, light and ever so tasty cauliflower rice recipe.
Whether you eat it alone or as a side dish, Sams’ Basil and Sun-Dried Tomato Cauliflower Rice is a saviour when it comes to effortless eats.
October is the season that firmly puts summer in the past, but that doesn’t mean that eating light and healthy has to come to an end. The conscientious cauliflower is back in season right now on Gozo, so we urge you to shop local and get creative with this versatile veggie. It is part of the Brassica vegetable family alongside broccoli, kale, cabbage and Brussels sprouts making it a prize-winning vegetable since they contain special nutrients that support detoxification. Cauliflower is also loaded with vitamin C and fibre and other awesome minerals.
Cauliflower rice is the perfect nutritious replacement to our usual rice with much less carbohydrate and calories and packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to protect us from various illnesses and seasonal sickness. In this recipe Sam opts to stir fry the cauliflower rice to retain most of the minerals and vitamins as opposed to boiling them, because who would want to waste such benefits?
Bottom-line : This vegan, gluten-free and lactose-free recipe is a must-make for all, either as a side dish or as a main meal. Easy to make, super healthy and so delicious…isn’t this the perfect plate?
Basil and Sun-dried Tomato Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Cauliflower Head
- 3 Tbsp and 2 Tbsp Divided Of Sun-Dried Tomato Oil From Your Sun-Dried Tomato Jar
- 4-5 Cloves Of Garlic Finely Chopped Or Minced
- A Cup Of Sliced Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- A Handful Of Fresh Basil Chopped Roughly
- Optional: A Few Extra Leaves Of Fresh Basil And Chopped Almonds To Garnish
- Cut your cauliflower into florets, removing as much of the stalk as possible and wash thoroughly.
- Dry the florets well with a napkin to eliminate most of the moisture. This will prevent your rice from becoming soggy.
- Using a food processor, blend the cauliflower until it gains a similar consistency to rice. Alternatively you may also use a grater, then set aside.
- In a non-stick stir frying pan (or non-stick skillet), sauté the minced garlic and sun-dried tomatoes for 1 minute in 3 tbsps of sun-dried tomato oil on a medium heat stirring frequently. Add the basil to the same skillet and sauté for another 1 minute.
- Add your cauliflower rice to the pan and continue to sauté pouring 2 more tbsp of the oil for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Serve your cauliflower rice while still warm and garnish with some fresh basil leave and chopped almonds.
Author and Images: Samantha Saliba.